Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (2022)

Why does my sister always talk bad about me to everyone she knows? She would rather hear something, take it and believe it is true, even if it is not. She is always talking me down to others, including my boyfriend and children. She has absolutely nothing good ata all to say about me. She would much rather take a lie and believe it is true, rather than believe the actual truth! The problem is, is that she seems to know more about my life than I know about my life. She is always rude to me in fromt of others. She doesn't care what she says or who she says it in front of! Anything to make me look bad in front of others! Her with her big LOUD mouth! I am writing because I don't know what to do about it anymore. She takes lies and tells them like they are factual! She never ask's if anything is true or not, even when she does ask, she would rather believe the lies are true than to believe what i tell her is true! No one in our family wants anything to do with her as it is because she puts all of the past family private business and matters on BLAST on the internet!

childrens lies

answer

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (1)

#2

Melissa

10 years ago

It sounds like she might be jealous of you. My little sister does the same thing, or at least used to. If I were you, I'd keep her away from your boyfriend and children. She is a sower of discord, and this will eventually cause some serious problems if you keep allowing her to cast negativity in your life. Seek people that are supportive, and block those that are not.
Peace and God Bless.

Also, I just learned this lesson myself. There was something in me that wanted to hang onto the negative people in my life, maybe optimism that things would get better, but they just got worse.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (2)

#3

Taffy

10 years ago

my sister is exactly the same and has been for 50 years. I've never done anything to her for her to feel this way and it has always been me to be there for her but all I get back is sarcasm etc. I finally told her where to get off after 50 years but it has only made her worse. It really upsets me, as our mother has recently passed away and I was always the one to take her to hospital appointments. Now my sister is telling everyone in the family I was hiding medical information from the family about my mother - which I was not. My sister has even said something detrimental to an old aunt of ours and now this aunt has nothing to do with me i.e. taking sides with my sister. I have finally had enough and can do nothing more and so I want to break all ties with her when my mothers estate is finished with.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (3)

#4

Jessie

10 years ago

Y a know I know what ya all feel I deal with it everyday. Except my sister leaves the kids with me or my mother to go out and party with her girlfriends then she gets drunk and lets it all loose. Then I have to hear the gossip at work. Then she has to continue her lies and bull just because they start following her around mis popular. I have lost so many friends because of her and I feel sorry for her. But here is what is real just to let you all know just let it all ride out Karma always comes back. The quietest are always the ones to stand on top of a mountain at end holding the flag of victory. Reamember let it go Karma, Karma Karma.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (4)

#5

Bod

9 years ago

I am 52 and have two elder sisters, one is nearly 60. My mother tells me the elder of the two has always strong headed even before I was born. She takes vendettas out on anyone when she does not get her own way, yet she can be so personable when it suits her so many people trust her. She takes pride in "not speaking" and alienating people, this included a period of 10 years of none communication with her own son, and frequent fall outs with my other sister.

There has been a family business interest with employees which were all involved with at one time, she liked to throw her weight around but when the day came did not want to take any legal responsibility. I suggested that she became I director with a defined area of responsibility and authority which she declined but would not allow those in charge to make decisions. I was prepared to carry the can but could not do it with her there, her actions often made in the interest of her partner who was employed in the business were making me mentally ill and in the end I had to walk away from my inheritance and left her there with my brother and cousin.

I thought that would be the end of it but from within the business she carried on causing trouble for me, her normal tactic is to wind someone up to do the bidding on her behalf, often my other sister. She managed to polarize my cousin against me, but my younger brother has always stood by me. My brother decided to buy our cousin out so he could run it.

Eventually my brother who was now a director could not handle my sister, she was always undermining him so he gave her a choice of severance or a formal disciplinary hearing with representation- she took severance. My brother bounced his feelings off me but the matter was handled professionally by solicitors.

Despite being offered choices all through she now blames me for her having to leave the family business several years after I was forced out by her actions and she has been running a campaign against me for several years now. I have an aunt calls me "the devil incarnate" for getting her the sack, another aunt nearly came to see us this Christmas but I am told dare not see me for fear of disapproval from the first aunt. My elder sister had not been talking to my other sister for years, now they have made up and guess what I am getting the cold shoulder from my other sister now and got into a row with her after I think she had been pumped up by the first sister about something that didn't happen!. I know this is happening because I hear distorted versions of events being quoted from time to time.

The worst of it is that I admit to having heated arguments with her but during those arguments she would taunt me saying "go on boy hit me you know you want to" of course I did not but now she says that she is frightened of me and pretends to have panic attacks in my presence so that I am not allowed to go to family functions if she wants to go. Our mother is now in her eighties and she and her disciples are perpetuating a family rift that is tainting mums golden years, just because my sister will not accept responsibility for her own actions.

It is based on mistruth's and lies and having been treated for depression twice I think it is going to put me there again as I am starting to have thoughts of suicide again, and she is so cunning, stubborn and bloody minded there is nothing I can do about it.

Those may interest you:

How to ask my cousin sister for sex
How to tell if my sister in law has or had feelings for me... and how to me...
I think my boyfriend is sleeping with his sister.
I am desperate to have sex with my sister in law. I have had feelings for h...

#6

Johnny Nicks

9 years ago

Bod

Check out my recent blog click on the link at the foot of the page..Do you think this is what may be going on with you and your sister?

(Video) 👨‍👩‍👦‍👦 TEXT TO SPEECH 👩 Dealing With My Annoying Little Sister 👗

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (6)

#7

Bod

9 years ago

I have had a life changing afternoon, outlining my problem here has been very cathartic (I think that's the right word). It got me thinking and I went on to nail the problem down, it appears that my late father was a Narcissist and my elder sister has followed in his footsteps. I have already shown what I found to my other sister and we can Identify with so much about them and the effects Narcissists have on other people particularly as parents.

Apparently part of the Nature of the Narcissists is to put on a nice face to all around and mount an all out psychological war on those with whom cross their path. She is a victim as well from my father but the nature of the personality disorder means that it will take a miracle to get through to her that the way she feels is a condition. In the meantime the best I can do is make people around me and her aware that such a condition exists, to give them a filter on her actions.

Thank you for your support.

"Bod"

👍

#8

Johnny Nicks

9 years ago

Hi Bod..Pleased you are feeling better. Did my blog help or did you do your own research?

We are always here for you!

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (8)

#9

Bod

9 years ago

I didn't find the information directly on your blog, but when I read here that other adults had similar problems it occurred to me that I was not alone with this and "Relationship talk" definitely acted as a springboard for me to look into it further.

Bod.

#10

Johnny Nicks

9 years ago

Ok thats great. Thanks

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (10)

#11

miss helper

9 years ago

so true!!! Sometimes, we don't need to be optimistic all time as things are not always what we can see and know. Bad things covered in good shield to be mistaken.Hate people who act very good to get flavors but their insides are totally full of evils. In my opinion, don trust any body except parents. Even your siblings are not truly angels to you. just keep away from them. stay good and try hard for good fortune. LIVE LIFE WITHOUT THEM...BE YOUR OWN HERO!~

GOOD LUCK!!!

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (11)

(Video) Me & my sister always fight, can I stop talking with her? - Assim al hakeem

#12

guest 1

7 years ago

I have the exact same problem! She always tries to give me a bad name and she purposely tries to lower my self esteem, eg. She used to tell me I was ugly so I started wearing makeup to stop feeling insecure and nowadays she critisizes me for wearing it, saying I don't need it! The latest thing is I liked a guy from my school and she started liking the exact same guy and she is flirting with him in front of me! I am honestly so tired of her, I hope we are better friends when we are older

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (12)

#13

Please don't be too ...

7 years ago

Fighting! 😊 Koreans say! Say see the world differently! History's "The Great Depression" may be repeating itself on the timeline. There may be major causes that are tiny contributing to it too (if you could find that and resolve it).

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (13)

#14

Please don't be too ...

7 years ago

😊 Optimistically? There may have been things you have been avoiding. A decent, calm talk with her? Something you've never noticed about her? Good things? 🙁 Did she always want your support (you by her side) because there are too many negative, sad things going on around her?

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (14)

#15

Please don't be too ...

7 years ago

Don't forget to know how to appropriately let loose too. A little bit like yoga or something is nice.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (15)

#16

Please don't be too ...

7 years ago

☹️ Yoga and breathing exercises. No smoking (or the bad stuff). If you see fault in yourself as well, there are people out there with arms length reaching arms out to you. You just need to take the first steps before over-anticipating change on it's own. You'll be be surprised for efforts.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (16)

#17

Please don't be too ...

7 years ago

Wow 😊 Self-motivated! Positive vibes!! Great attitude!

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (17)

#18

Marial Arts

me too . .

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (18)

(Video) 🍀 TEXT TO SPEECH 🦄 My Parents Prefer My Annoying Little Sister To Me 🌈 Roblox Story #605

#19

badgirl56

7 years ago

This sounds like my sister wrote this! Lol She's the one who deliberately starts picking fights with me. Then, she turns it around when she blames me for starting the fights! She's always been jealous of me since I'm the youngest of the 3 of us. And,yet,whenever she needs anything from me,I always help her! I was asked to move in with her after her lover died a year ago. And,she raised my rent to $200 more a month right after I moved in,to keep me broke,and so she'd have lots of money for herself, too! And,if I manage to save enough so I can buy myself some cheap clothes to wear,she gets mad,and starts another stupid yelling match! So everybody will hear it,and blame me for being the trouble-maker! She's good at pointing out bad things,and nothing good about me! And,the bad things she says about me,are blown out of proportion,or,made up! Now,she's found another lady to court,...so she thinks! The woman's not gay! But,she's obsessed with her,and won't leave her alone! She's been walking into her apt.in the middle of the night, when she wasn't invited to! She's even asked her to move with her to Calif., when my other sister was planning on the 3 of us to move there with her,and her daughter. And,the woman told me about this yesterday,too! But,my sister's trying desperately to start fights so she can kick me out, so the other one can move in with her! She knows that she has money,a car., and,all of what she wants from her. And,she's done with me now! But,her friend's already told me she's not doing it! And, she asked me to move in with her,to get away from my sister,too! But,since I'm not like my sister,I won't do that! But, I will move out, and leave her by herself,though! So,in case she's reading this,...good-luck sister!! You are on your own now!

Those may interest you:

I'm quite attracted to my sister in law (wife's sister). I feel she too is interested in having
Older sister - is she jealous? My older sister hasn't had mu...
Husband tells his sister everything
Why does my ex boyfriend stare at me but doesn't talk to me?

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (19)

#20

badgirl56

7 years ago

This sounds like my sister wrote this! Lol She's the one who deliberately starts picking fights with me. Then, she turns it around when she blames me for starting the fights! She's always been jealous of me since I'm the youngest of the 3 of us. And,yet,whenever she needs anything from me,I always help her! I was asked to move in with her after her lover died a year ago. And,she raised my rent to $200 more a month right after I moved in,to keep me broke,and so she'd have lots of money for herself, too! And,if I manage to save enough so I can buy myself some cheap clothes to wear,she gets mad,and starts another stupid yelling match! So everybody will hear it,and blame me for being the trouble-maker! She's good at pointing out bad things,and nothing good about me! And,the bad things she says about me,are blown out of proportion,or,made up! Now,she's found another lady to court,...so she thinks! The woman's not gay! But,she's obsessed with her,and won't leave her alone! She's been walking into her apt.in the middle of the night, when she wasn't invited to! She's even asked her to move with her to Calif., when my other sister was planning on the 3 of us to move there with her,and her daughter. And,the woman told me about this yesterday,behind my sister's back! But,my sister's trying desperately to start fights so she can kick me out, so the other one can move in with her! She knows that she has money,a car., and,all of what she wants from her. And,she's done with me now! But,her friend's already told me she's not doing it! And, she asked me to move in with her,to get away from my sister,too! But,since I'm not like my sister,I won't do that! But, I will move out, and leave her by herself,though! So,in case she's reading this,...good-luck sister!! You are on your own now! See where your selfishness leads you to?! Lol

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (20)

#21

Aus

Awsome advice!!

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (21)

#22

Shmebulock

7 years ago

I have two sisters that talk bad about me behind my back and they are older than me so when i tell my mom about it she never believes me. The part that ***** the most is that they put on fake faces when they are around me. They try to act all nice then when i leave the room all hell breaks loose! On one occasion they had called me ugly. Apparently i was so ugly that they would rather look like a monster from their video game than ever look like me. Another time they called me retarded. Once my older sister said "Where's Heather?" then my other sister replied "That Indian man's got her headphones in". They both laughed hard. At the time i didn't and had heard everything that they said. My self esteem has already been suffocated by the comments of the bullies at my old school.My sisters are just the cherry on top. How did this all start? My eldest sister and i used to be very close. This might have made the second eldest jealous causing her to tell my eldest sister that i was a ***** and did nasty things in my room at night. I have never done anything like that in my life! My eldest sister automatically believed and now their bond is stronger than petrified wood. Every time i walk in the room they give each other strange looks or make gestures towards me. All of the degradation of my self esteem was in the hands of two people and they were my very own sisters! Who knew that my own flesh and blood could cause such chaos? If you ask me I would say that this would be the biggest plot twist i had ever seen written in the chapters of my own life! Even though this may not be an answer i understand what you are going through and i hope you can find it in yourself to stop caring what she thinks.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (22)

#23

Petra

7 years ago

I have an older sister that is exactly the same to me. She has got worse the older she gets. She accuses me of the negative personality traits that she has. She remembers events that never happened and bad mouths me to anyone that will listen. If I tell my mother that I am thinking of doing something or would really like to get something, my sister will do her hardest to get it first. She has to be admired by others. I grew up conditioned to her treatment of me and accepted our relationship (or lack of one) was always on her terms. Sometimes she would talk to me sometimes she wouldn't. If I was useful to her, I became her new BFF. She is like it with most people. But, I am the one who she vented all of her venom and spite on. Her grown up children are gradually morphing into her too. I always felt like she was doing me a favour by allowing me to be useful. I still continued to be the little sister and auntie to her children. But, last year she eclipsed every miserable horrible thing she has ever said or done to me, and it is something I cannot and will not forgive. My lovely dad died and we were all devastated and this was obviously a focus for all the family. But she turned on me in a way that was despicable. Petty jealousy's and resentments should not of been an issue in our united grief. But it was more important to her to cast aspersions against me in a situation that was most definitely nothing to do with me. It was totally unjustified and a completely unprovoked attack against me. However, in doing so she showed the whole family her true colours as they were all appalled at her behaviour. She seriously needs help. I recognise that now. I also now recognise that her behaviour is borne of jealousy and for some reason she feels inferior to me. She has a chip on her shoulder firmly put there by her. In a way I am thankful that I can at last see her for what she is and understand I will never be someone she likes, irrespective of what I do. Its very liberating and has been a long time coming. I can only assume that this type of behaviour is a personality disorder and these people must be so miserable and full of hatred that they have to purge themselves of it onto others. The key to dealing with these individuals is distance and not letting them into your life. My sister still occasionally tries to put the emotional boot in but without success. They thrive and feed off of the pain they inflict on others and all for one miserable second thinking they have made someone feel more miserable than them. If they do not get a reaction they will eventually find another person to inflict their spite and malice on as they always need an outlet for their self hate.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (23)

#24

Em

6 years ago

I have the same problem but with my sister she use to actually hit us and push us around and she's had a baby and everyone was nice to her, but I'm pregnant now so she's making arguements and talking about me saying horrible things that Iv cheated on my boyfriend and all that, but do you live apart from her? If so the don't invite her in or say you don't want here near you that's what I'm going to do, but if you still lie with her do what I'm doing try as hard as you possibly can to get away from her and prove her wrong with everything she's saying and doing! I feel your pain with your situation I hope it all gets sorted for your sake Cus I know how stressful it is for you! Good luck!!

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (24)

(Video) ADOPTED SISTER Gets CAUGHT Being Mean To Siblings, Instantly Regrets it (FULL MOVIE)

#25

Sharon

6 years ago

I can relate! My sister is 1 1/2 yrs younger than I. Her husband would treat me like I had the plague. Her kids would act the same. For my entire life I have ignored their rude behavior and took the high road. Now my sister is divorced and her kids are all a hot mess.
She still acts as if she is better than me. She is my only sibling and our parents died. I am 52 years old. I never thought she would still be this rude at our older age. I have tried my entire life to be a good sister. However sadly my heart aches for a sister I never had. I decided to stop interacting with her because it's too painful. I have surrounded myself with kind friends and it does help. My husband and everyone says she is jealous. Her older son who just got out of jail said that she always talked behind my back his entire life. I appreciated the blunt honesty. I am a good person and have a very nice lifestyle because I work very hard. It is unfortunate that after all these years it has to be jealousy. I wish that she would wake up and realize that life does not go on forever and all the years she decided she bad mouthed me for whatever reason. It's very sad.

Those may interest you:

Is it bad if me and this guy talk on the phone too much ? Sh...
Why does my mom always favor my older sister
I'm in love with my half sister.
Adult children living with parents... just how bad is this?

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (25)

#26

Sharon

6 years ago

Don't count on it! Surround yourself with quality positive friends. The old saying "you can't pick your neighbor but you can pick your friends" should include "you can't pick your sister so go pick a great friend!" I say replace any family member or negative relative with a friend! Plus getting a dog for unconditional love really helped me greatly! Toy poodle 5 pounds of love and happiness. Best thing I ever did for myself! Be strong and respect your feelings!

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (26)

#27

Me

6 years ago

I have a sister who plays one sister against the others. There were 8 of us. Some have now passed due to age. but the rest know how she was and ignored her. I have one sister left besides her. This sister seems to believe and actually enjoy what my sister tells her which is always lies . she sides with her, she is getting dementia I do not say anything to her. I tried once and things got worse . I love everyone of my sisters even the bad one. Why does she do this. I am her target now. I have tried everything. Confronting her, ignoring her. She has called my son my husband , a friend trying to get them to hate me. I know she has a mental problem but what is it? How can I still have a relationship with her.

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (27)

#28

jhilik

6 years ago

I think she is jealous of you and wants you to low down. I am in also the same condition. My Didi does with me the same. I think you should teach a lesson her. And you should tell everything to your parents .

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (28)

#29

Sharon S.

6 years ago

Jhilik, Thank you for your kind reply. Many people have said that
my sister is jealous of me. When you love your only sister whom is
younger you never think it's jealousy. However now that I am older and our parents have passed away I thought that due to our older age she would mature and let the jealousy go. It hurts my heart that
she does not realize that life is not infinite and that all we have in our
bloodline is each other. I just have to take off the rose colored glasses
and realize that although we are both older now she will never change.
It will always be a competition. I have reach out to many of my girlfriends whom are their own business and they also have issues
with sisters whom are jealous. So unfortunate. I love my sister however I have to let the toxic verbal barbs go and not walk into
her lions den. All she knows how to do is hurt me by using acidic
words just like she did when we were kids. She never grew up.
I should feel sorry for her because I do not believe she is capable of
understanding. Even after my father passed away she shed no tears.
That speaks volumes for a father whom provided her with a college education, car, roof over her head, food on the table and love and support. She is my opposite. Thank you for confirming what everyone else is telling me. I just have to accept it. Hope your situation improves with your sibling. Sincerely, Sharon S

Why Does My Sister Always Talk Bad About Me To Everyone She ... (29)

#30

Sharon S.

6 years ago

Read Dr. Henry Cloud's book "Necessary Endings". You seem young
the sooner you read this book the quicker you can understand why
your sister is doing this. Sibling rivalry along with jealousy is a toxic
mix that is like cancer that you have to avoid. Don't tell your sister
anything because all she will do is trash anything you say. Never ever tell your sister your heartfelt information or your dreams because she will use it to cut you in your soul. Remove yourself from the pattern
of thinking just because she is your sister she is going to be nice to you. If she was not your sister you would not be friends with her.
So, find a friend a true friend whom you can trust. It takes a long time to be able to trust someone. Select someone whom doesn't know your sister and isn't from your inner circle of friends. This person can become your new friend and in time can be a substitute for your sister. Remember your sister does not wish you well and is out to hurt you. I know this is painful and very difficult but if you read the bible Kane and Able and history books on sibling rivalry and jealousy this has been going on since the beginning of mankind...what a joke...man "kind" it should be man.."what your back". Good luck and protect your heart. Use your head and stop talking to your sister! Be good to yourself!

FAQs

How do you deal with a negative sister? ›

We've gathered some experts' insights on how to deal with a toxic sibling.
  1. Set limits and boundaries.
  2. Figure out the workarounds.
  3. Don't fight too hard for it.
  4. Establish an emotional boundary.
  5. Acknowledge your truth.
  6. Label the behaviors (or your feelings), not the person.
  7. Communicate openly if it feels safe.
11 Mar 2021

What makes a sister toxic? ›

A toxic sibling relationship is a relationship that is unbalanced in its power dynamic and may involve sibling abuse and dysfunctional sibling rivalry. Sibling estrangement can be caused by parental favouritism, having immature parents, parental or sibling abuse and psychopathy.

What are the signs of a jealous sister? ›

If your sister is jealous, she might withdraw or shut down when you are around. She might refuse to make plans with you, avoid serious conversations or even walk out of a room when you walk in. After high school, she might choose a college in a distant state and eventually settle somewhere across the country.

What is a sister complex person? ›

Sister complex (Japanese: シスターコンプレックス) is a state of strong attachment and obsession to sisters. It is commonly abbreviated as "siscon" (Japanese: シスコン), and in this case, it is also used for brothers and sisters who have a strong attachment and obsession to their sisters.

Why do siblings stop talking to each other? ›

Sibling estrangement is an outgrowth of "drifting apart and taking different paths. The more painful (break-up) is when it comes out of a conflict or many conflicts," Kennedy-Moore said. Often cutting off the relationship arises when one sibling "finds it toxic to have that person in their life," Kennedy-Moore said.

When your sister is a narcissistic? ›

A narcissistic sibling can have profound and lasting impacts on your mental health, especially if you were raised with one. It can potentially cause you to be more conflict-averse, distrustful, and tolerant of abuse in other relationships.

What makes a good sister? ›

A good sister demonstrates qualities of honesty, loyalty and trustworthiness. She communicates with her siblings and doesn't forget what's important to them. As a sister, she's there in times of need and in times of celebration. Even from afar, simple acts can demonstrate your desire to be a better sister.

What is it called when someone talks bad about you? ›

Oral defamation is called "slander." If it's in writing, than it's called "libel." In addition, anyone can be defamed regardless of the person's status.

What do you call a person that always talks bad about others? ›

scandalmonger. noun. someone who tells people bad and shocking things about other people, especially things that are not true.

Why do people gossip about you? ›

people gossip for a variety of reasons: To feel superior. Many people who are insecure about themselves find temporary relief in judging others. Knowing something that others don't can feel empowering, and sometimes, that's all an uncertain gossiper needs.

How do you deal with a mean sister? ›

10 Ways to Deal with a Toxic Sibling
  1. Speak Up. In all reality, your sibling might not even know that they are hurting you. ...
  2. Set Boundaries. ...
  3. Change the Opportunities. ...
  4. Don't Normalize Their Behavior. ...
  5. Walk Away. ...
  6. Take the High Road. ...
  7. Counseling. ...
  8. Trust Yourself.

Why are adult siblings mean to each other? ›

Reasons for Adult Sibling Rivalry

Parental favoritism is often cited as a source of adult sibling rivalry. It's also common for people to feel that a sibling is or 'has always been' favored by a parent, even if this may not be recognized or acknowledged by the rest of the family.

What is sibling abuse called? ›

Up to 80 percent of youth experience some form of sibling maltreatment; yet, it's been called the “forgotten abuse.” [1] Therapists also frequently overlook it. Usually, the perpetrator is an older child (often the eldest) exploiting the emotional dependence and weakness of a younger sibling.

Is jealousy a mental illness? ›

“Jealousy is as cruel as the grave.” Morbid jealousy is not a psychiatric disorder, but a syndrome that occurs in many psychiatric conditions.

What is at the root of jealousy? ›

Research has identified many root causes of extreme jealousy, including low self-esteem, high neuroticism, and feeling possessive of others, particularly romantic partners. Fear of abandonment is also a key motivator.

What is a bro con? ›

Brocon is short for "brother complex". Advertisement.

What is the meaning of sister company? ›

Sister companies are subsidiaries that are related to one another by virtue of the fact that they share a common parent entity. Each sister company operates independently from the others, and in most cases, they produce unrelated product lines.

What does having a brother complex mean? ›

Definition. A feeling of extreme envy or jealousy of a brother. Word origin: Cain, a biblical character. Synonym: Cain complex.

Is it OK to not like your sister? ›

If you feel like you hate your sister, you're not alone. It is common for siblings to fight, which can lead to rivalry and hatred over time. Hatred for a sibling can set in at any age, in childhood or adulthood. It can intensify over time or dissipate as the years pass.

What causes siblings to hate each other? ›

Siblings may be jealous of and harbor resentment toward one another. The main causes of sibling rivalry are lack of social skills, concerns with fairness, individual temperaments, special needs, parenting style, parent's conflict resolution skills and culture.

What kind of childhood trauma causes narcissism? ›

Narcissism tends to emerge as a psychological defence in response to excessive levels of parental criticism, abuse or neglect in early life. Narcissistic personalities tend to be formed by emotional injury as a result of overwhelming shame, loss or deprivation during childhood.

How do I protect myself from a narcissistic sister? ›

How to Deal With a Narcissistic Family Member
  1. Avoid Direct Confrontation. Because those with NPD are extremely sensitive to criticism, calling a true narcissist a narcissist typically backfires and worsens the situation. ...
  2. Don't Accept Harmful Behaviors. ...
  3. Focus on Choices. ...
  4. Set Limits. ...
  5. Get Support and Professional Counseling.
2 Apr 2021

How do narcissists treat their family? ›

In many families, a narcissistic sibling or child slowly takes over by demanding the most attention and loyalty, insulting everyone (even parents), violating the family's rules, and manipulating its decision-making.

What do older sisters do? ›

One great way to be a responsible older sister is to show your younger siblings the importance of being a good helper in your home. That might mean helping your parents do laundry, tidying up your room, getting your siblings ready for school, or setting the table before dinner, for instance.

What does the Bible say about sisterhood? ›

Sisters take care of each other, watch out for each other, comfort each other, and are there for each other through thick and thin. The Lord has said, “I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.”

How can I improve my relationship with my sister? ›

WANT TO HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR SIBLINGS? TRY THESE SURE-FIRE STEPS
  1. Value your siblings. Treat your siblings like the special people they are. ...
  2. Keep in touch. ...
  3. Accept your differences. ...
  4. Avoid being judgmental. ...
  5. Be pleasant. ...
  6. Don't bring up the past. ...
  7. Let go of grudges. ...
  8. Welcome spouses.
13 Aug 2013

Is talking about someone always gossip? ›

By definition (at least the definition social scientists who study gossip use), gossip is any talk about someone who isn't present, it's usually about something we can make a moral judgment about (meaning you tend to approve of the information or disapprove), and it's entertaining (meaning it doesn't feel like work to ...

Why do people talk behind your back psychology? ›

It's a sign of their own immaturity, low self-esteem, insecurity, or jealousy. What is this? There are even those that love to gossip to the point that it's almost a hobby for them. When someone talks about you behind your back they're often looking for acceptance, as an attempt to fit in.

What do you call someone who has something to say about everything? ›

A loquacious person talks a lot, often about stuff that only they think is interesting. You can also call them chatty or gabby, but either way, they're loquacious.

What does bad mouthing someone mean? ›

Definition of bad-mouth

transitive verb. : to criticize severely.

Why do people badmouth others? ›

The fundamental purpose behind badmouthing others is to bring them down and make them feel bad by creating an anxious environment.

How do I shut down gossip? ›

If someone comes to you with some kind of gossip or rumor or toxic talk, a very simple, “I have absolutely no opinion about that at all,” is an easy way to stop the conversation in it's tracks. It's a refusal to engage. Boom, done, that's it. And don't respond otherwise.

How do you stop people from gossiping about you? ›

Say something polite yet direct, like: "Hey. I want you to know that I don't appreciate the things you've been saying about me. Please stop." Then, just walk away - this person doesn't deserve your time. Ignore any insults you hear as you're walking away.

What the Bible says about gossip? ›

On the one hand, Scripture speaks strongly against gossip. Romans 1:29; 2 Corinthians 12:20 – Both differentiate gossip from slander and condemn it as the result of a depraved mind, unfitting for Christians. 1 Timothy 5:13; 2 Thessalonians 3:11 – Both condemn “busybodies” who “speak about things not proper to mention.”

What is the meanest thing to say to your sister? ›

The 13 Worst Things to Say to Your Sibling
  • "You know what you should do…"
  • "You shouldn't have done that."
  • "You have it so good."
  • "How much are you making these days?"
  • "That's not a big deal."
  • "I've already heard that one."
  • "I don't really have time right now."
  • "Hi, I have bad news."
6 Apr 2020

How do you deal with a difficult sister? ›

1. Don't try to fix the difficult person. Accept them exactly as they are. ...
  2. Be present and direct. ...
  3. Do encourage difficult people to express themselves. ...
  4. Watch for trigger topics. ...
  5. Know that some topics are absolutely off-limits. ...
  6. It's not about you — usually. ...
  7. Your own well-being comes first.
22 Feb 2018

Why are my sister and I so different? ›

Q: Why are siblings so different? First of all, genetics can account for sibling differences. Siblings usually only share 50 percent of the DNA passed down from their parents. Second of all, even if siblings attend the same school, they may hang out in different crowds, which in turn influences their personality.

What is a toxic sister? ›

How do I know if my sister is jealous of me? ›

Humans tend to put emotional or physical distance between themselves and the people who cause bad feelings. If your sister is jealous, she might withdraw or shut down when you are around. She might refuse to make plans with you, avoid serious conversations or even walk out of a room when you walk in.

What are the signs of an abusive sibling? ›

The abuser has the intention of making the victim feel lesser than, creating a sense of low self-esteem or social withdrawal. Examples of sibling emotional abuse include name-calling, belittling, teasing, insulting, threatening, destroying property, relational aggression, intimidation and asserting power or control.

Can you get PTSD from a sibling? ›

Can sibling abuse lead to PTSD? Abuse is abuse, no matter who it's carried out by. Sibling abuse, just like other forms of abuse, can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

What is a trauma bond in siblings? ›

Trauma bonding is a psychological response to abuse. It occurs when the abused person forms an unhealthy bond with the person who abuses them. The person experiencing abuse may develop sympathy for the abusive person, which becomes reinforced by cycles of abuse, followed by remorse.

Can siblings cause childhood trauma? ›

Like all forms of child abuse, sibling abuse can lead to myriad problems for victims, including anxiety, depression, PTSD, self-loathing, and low self-esteem.

How do narcissists treat their siblings? ›

Your sibling may constantly demand your attention and admiration and react with outrage if you do not respond as they desire, instilling a deep belief that you are responsible for their emotional well-being. In some cases, the narcissist may even use physical or sexual violence against you.

Is it okay to cut off a toxic sibling? ›

Deciding to cut ties

It sucks to have to choose between yourself and your family members. It really does. But this is the reality. Remaining in a relationship with a toxic person is potentially harmful to your emotional and physical health and relationships (and may negatively affect your spouse and children, too).

Is sibling abuse a thing? ›

Sibling abuse is the most common of family violence in the US, but the least reported. As opposed to sibling rivalry, sibling abuse is characterized by the one-sided treatment of one sibling to another. Sibling abuse has been found to most commonly occur in dysfunctional families where abuse from parents is present.

Can a sibling Gaslight you? ›

While it's most common in romantic settings, gaslighting can happen in any kind of relationship where one person is so important to the other that they don't want to take the chance of upsetting or losing them, such as a boss, friend, sibling, or parent.

What is a narcissistic sister like? ›

Monopolizing conversations; demanding constant attention. Disrespecting boundaries; feeling entitled that they needn't comply with others' wishes. Betraying confidence. Launching “campaigns” against others: making themselves look perfect and their sibling look like the “crazy” one.

What kind of childhood trauma causes narcissism? ›

When should you walk away from your family? ›

When the relationship creates so much stress that it affects the important areas of your life at work, home or both. When your emotions are totally caught up in defending yourself and wanting to explain yourself and the chaos of your relationships with these people is all you talk about, it is time to let go.

How do you know if you grew up in a toxic household? ›

Feelings of extreme anxiety, low self-esteem, worthlessness, difficulty trusting others, maintaining close relationships, or feeling worn out after a visit with your family are all signs you grew up in a toxic family.

How do you deal with a jealous sister? ›

Try to distract your jealous sibling so that the whole matter can blow over. Sometimes they'll get very emotional and it won't help to try to walk them through their feelings. If you can find a fun pastime the two of you can do after you've dealt with the problem, it'll help restore your sibling's sense of pride.

Can you get PTSD from a sibling? ›

Can a sibling mentally abuse you? ›

Emotional abuse between siblings is common, but is difficult to research. However, its effect should not be underestimated. Emotional abuse includes name calling, belittling, teasing, shaming, threats, intimidation, false accusations, provocation, and destroying a sibling's belongings.

What is a trauma bond in siblings? ›

What are 10 signs of gaslighting? ›

10 Signs of Gaslighting Behaviour
  • Blatant Lies. You know the person is lying, often and with ease, yet they say they do not recognise this in their behaviour. ...
  • Deny, Deny, Deny. You know what they said. ...
  • Using What You Love Against You. ...
  • Losing Your Sense of Self. ...
  • Words Versus Actions. ...
  • Love and Flattery. ...
  • Confusion. ...
  • Projecting.
15 May 2019

How do you outsmart a gaslighter? ›

Here are eight tips for responding and taking back control.
  1. First, make sure it's gaslighting. ...
  2. Take some space from the situation. ...
  3. Collect evidence. ...
  4. Speak up about the behavior. ...
  5. Remain confident in your version of events. ...
  6. Focus on self-care. ...
  7. Involve others. ...
  8. Seek professional support.

Videos

1. My Sister Sings Better Than Ariana Grande ( Part 2 )
(Voices BOX)
2. THE MEAN SISTER 😡 | You’re NOT Popular!
(Kinigra Deon)
3. Little Sisters Be Like | Sekora's Top 5 Little Sister Moments w/ Sefari
(Sekora and Sefari Play)
4. Boy Snitches Out Sister When Mom Threatens to Take Away His Video Game Console - 1158395-3
(RM Videos)
5. My Sister Is Always Annoyed With Me. Now I Know Why
(Animated Story Show)
6. #POV: my sister asks my friends if they can keep a secret.. #shorts #tiktok #skyyjade
(skyyjade)